Schools – Reducing Vandalism
Reducing Vandalism And Reducing Costs At Schools
Ensuring schools are safe and secure without the ‘fortress’ feel is a challenge facing many schools, and with 75% of crime in schools being opportunistic, it’s a matter that needs to be managed.
Also as schools are left empty for long periods during the holidays they are subject to attack, from arson to graffiti and vandalism. All of which take time to rectify and put an additional pressure on the school budget with the extra cost of remedial work and increased insurance costs.
An Issue of Vandalism and Arson
A school in the Midlands needed a solution to eradicate the vandalism occurring during the summer break. Following a visit to the school and carrying out a full risk assessment it was clear that the secluded areas of the school was giving the vandals undetected access to the school.
The solution that was designed and proposed to the client and determined to be the most cost effective solution was to install electronic beams to the vulnerable areas, and integrate the beams to CCTV system that is monitored by an Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC). On activation of the beams the control room would log into the cameras see the cause of the activation, if the cause was intruders, Police would be alerted and attend the site.
This led to a complete elimination of vandalism and arson attacks at the school.
Key Considerations for Protecting Schools
- A secure boundary is fundamentally important to a school, which should of substantial quality, gates should be to a high specification
- Reduce access points for pedestrians and vehicles
- Use vandal resistant energy efficient lighting from dawn to dusk to aid surveillance
- Install an intruder alarm that is linked to the Police
- Ensure outside furniture/rubbish containers are not easily moved to provide opportunities for easy access to roof
- Undertake a security audit for a complete risk assessment from a security company with expertise in school security.
Contact Brunel Security Bristol for a free comprehensive audit of your school or education premises on 0117 259 1000